We had a very interesting week with a site visit to CampHill, a center for the education and support of the physically and mentally handicapped located 30” drive South of us. The Director is a Brit and personally showed us around. It includes three separate schools for various ages and 7 sheltered workshop projects including pottery making, weaving, raising plants for sale, an orchard, candle making, organic agriculture and catering. It is a wonderfully run and somewhat unique program (at least for BW). The CampHill program is worldwide, having started in Scotland, and has several facilities in the US.
Mma Ooke, my DAC counterpart had several family illnesses and had to be off for the last part of the week, so the office was busy with just Nthami, Duncan and I. We are making progress in planning for a “Street Bash” (i.e. street fair) in September with the theme of trying to break the chain of Multiple Concurrent Sexual Partnerships (so-called MCP). This is one of the National messages to continue the fight against HIV this year, along with decreasing the frequency of teenage pregnancy, involving more men in treatment and stopping Mother to Child transmission of HIV during pregnancy, delivery and breast-feeding.
It’s a four day holiday weekend here for President’s Day with Monday and Tuesday off. Our neighborhood feels very quiet as many have returned to their home villages to visit family. Yesterday we did our usual Saturday ritual of laundry and house cleaning. I also decided to plant some of the seeds I brought into small containers, so that once they sprout, I can transplant. I was going to plant in the back yard, but the more I think about it, perhaps a container garden might be easier to shade from the hottest of the sun, and keep the critters from chomping on any vegetables. By the way, does anyone know if chickens, if allowed, will eat garden vegetables? I need some compost for enriching the dirt, so what better way to spend the first day of a holiday weekend than collecting donkey dung. Lack of fertilizer will not be the limiting factor in my garden.
This morning we attended the kereke roma or Catholic Church 10 AM service. In format it is essentially the same as in America but it took two hours to complete. We made the acquaintance of the Pastor, Stephen as he introduced himself, from Lesotho (the small country totally enclosed by South Africa) and complimented him on how he engaged the group (about 300 in the school meeting hall). He spoke for 25 minutes 97% in Setswana and would crescendo in pitch then break out in a broad grin as the congregation laughed at something he said. He did insert a few English phrases that I caught such as "miracles" and how " a big house was something that everyone wanted", but most of the words were lost on us. Before the dismissal there was a lengthy appeal for donations (I guess churches everywhere all have the same financial issues).
The music, as has been the case at almost every event in BW, was amazing. Everyone was singing, on key and most of it was in two-part harmony, one part sung by the women and another by the men---all without a director or any written music. There was one accompanying instrument, a drum which someone brought, with some metallic pieces that gave it a tambourine sound. Some swaying and lots of rhythm, but only an occasional high pitch shrill warbling tongue yell that it seems only African women can do justice to.
Speaking of home, I thought it was about time to post a video of our house. I have tried twice but keep running into a VERY slow internet connection. I will have to try again another day
Kgosi
No comments:
Post a Comment